As feared, new measures were announced today by Chief Executive Carrie Lam to contain the outbreak of the omnicron virus in Hong Kong.
Carrie Lam communicated the following new anti-epidemic measures:
From 12am on 8th January onwards till 24th January:
flights from 8 countries will be banned from landing in Hong Kong. Anyone, including Hong Kong residents, who transit via these 8 countries will also be banned from entering Hong Kong. These 8 countries also include France and the U.K.
From 12am on 7th January for 14 days:
- All major events and gatherings will be cancelled
- Dine-in services at all catering premises will be banned from 6pm onwards. As for maximum number of diners per table, only 2 will be allowed for Category A and B restaurants, 4 per table for Category C and 6 per table for Category D.
- All listed premises under Cap 599F including bars, clubs, mahjong/Tin Kau parlours, game arcade centres, beauty parlours, karaoke, public bathhouses, cruises, fitness centres must be suspended too. All bars in hotels/guest houses/ private clubs must also be suspended
- Theme parks and museums will be closed
- All local tours and cruise-to-where must be suspended
Let’s hope that after this effort, in a fortnight’ time we will again be able to enjoy a pleasant night out together.